Last week we heard about an iPhone 4 Bursts into Flames While Charging , scorching the device and melting the cord. This week it’s an iPad; TechReport reader Forge says he woke up at 5 in the morning to the smell of burnt plastic. The USB connector was melting and the iPad was extremely hot, so much so that when he grabbed it to disconnect the cord, he immediately dropped it on the ground.
I noted last week that even with extremely high yields in relatively simple parts, when producing five or six million electronic devices, you’re guaranteed to get a few bad ones. Two USB burnouts in a row seems like a lot, but there are millions of devices out there not catching on fire. All the same, a high-capacity battery and high-voltage charger do have the potential to get very hot, so take reasonable precautions when setting your devices down to charge for the night.
Apple devices in particular tend to get super hot due to the slimness, density, and (in my opinion) inadequate ventilation, so keep that in mind. The more you know!