What is Mobile Apps Showdown ?
Similar to Last Gadget Standing, app developers are given two minutes to showcase their application designs, and an applause-o-meter will gauge the audience's enthusiasm to decide the winners. Judges will select 10 finalists, and two winners are selected overall.
Here are the top Finalists:
1.Magisto: How’s this for magic? You shoot some video on your mobile phone and pop off to Magisto. It’s edited into a vignette replete with special effects and title, posted to YouTube. The video production can look a bit amateur, but hey, there’s some artificial intelligence calling the shots.
2. Macaw: There are dozens of apps to keep you healthy, making you hyper conscious of diet and exercise. What’s novel about Macaw (yes, named for the long lived bird) is that it combines US Preventative Medicine expertise in monitoring activity, diet and education about staying healthy.
3. SkyQ: It is an app that brings a deep meaning to celestial objects. It’s a match made in heaven. Just point your iPad anywhere in the sky and the objects are faithfully rendered. Pan down and you can even see what’s under the horizon. Multimedia explanations of what you’re seeing, layering of objects and more make this a planetarium you can hold in your hands.
BUY IT [Its not a FREE app]
4. Foam Fighters: WowWee, a company known for its sense of play, teamed up with AppGear to create Foam Fighters, which mixes physical and virtual play on your iPhone or Android. A little swivel attachment holds a toy plane about six inches from your phone. You control the plane with your movements and shoot the targets you encounter.
5. Aurasma Lite: takes augmented reality to another level by letting you augment the world in front of you eyes. Bring CD covers to life or add animated dinosaurs into the scenery in front of you.
6. CIA Operation Ajax We talk a good talk about ebooks that go above and beyond traditional books but CIA Operation Ajax delivers on infusing the graphic novel with an e- sensibility. It combines a full score, news reels and clips from the 50’s and an unparalleled artistic sensibility along with an intriguing plot.
BUY IT [Not a free app]